Monday, March 5, 2012

Baby Steps

Hello, my name is Amy James and I am an addict.

Everyone together now... "Hiiiii, Amy!" My addiction? Weighing myself.

Must. Stop. Now.

Of course, it's hard to evaluate your results on a 90-Day Health Challenge if you don't weigh yourself ever, right? Right.

But every day is not necessary. And 3-4 times a day is certainly not healthy. And this Challenge is about HEALTH, after all. Not just physical, but emotional, mental, spiritual... financial, even. I am working on getting healthy - not skinny. If I stick to the plan (which I am LOVING, by the way), my body will respond. I don't need to check my progress constantly.

For the record, I should point out that I have lost and am still losing... so it's not that I've stalled or gained and I'm feeling bad...I haven't felt better and had so much energy in a long, long time. If I had known eating healthily would feel - and TASTE - so good, I wouldn't be in this position now.

It's just that the scale is too powerful. Depending on what it says, I can be thrilled and encouraged or defeated and disappointed. That fluctuation of 1-2lbs throughout the day is #1 not a true indicator of my progress and #2 should not even matter. I am in this for the long haul. And I understand and accept that it is going to be a long haul. And I'm okay with that.

So I going to start by cutting back to weighing myself once a week. Monday mornings will be my day to step on the scale. And take a deep breath, cross my fingers, say a little prayer and look...

Step 1 is admitting you have a problem.

1 comment:

Holly said...

I just came across your blog from Pinterest, and I completely relate to this post. You know, I used to have that same unhealthy addiction to the scale, and I know how hard it is to break.
After years and years of it though, I did break it. My suggestion - either throw it out or put it away (somewhere that's kinda hard to get to). I didn't get mine out for about 6 months. If you need to check on a weekly or monthly basis, go somewhere else to do it (the gym, a friend's house, etc).
You can break this addiction. The number is just a number. It should not (and DOES NOT) determine your worth or your happiness. Only you can determine those factors :) Hang in there, it does get easier!
www.happyfoodhealthylife.com